A journey through my last year as a twenty-something

I'm Not Going to Say It But You Know....

Do you have someone in your life who thinks they are helping but in fact they are only making things worse? It’s hard to be mad at someone who is trying to help you, especially when they are your mother.

For years my mom has been on me about my weight. I know she doesn’t say things to hurt me or to make me feel bad about myself but that’s the way it comes across. Every time I complain about something her response is “well if you lost some weight.” Take these examples for instance.

Me: I’m taking Prilosec because I keep getting horrible heartburn.
Mom: You know if you lost weight that would probably go away.

Me: I want to have kids but I think something is broken
Mom: You know if you lost weight that would probably help

Me: I feel depressed all the time
Mom: You know if you lost weight that would help

Me: I can’t eat tomatoes anymore because the cause me stomach problems
Mom: I bet if you lost weight the problem would go away.

It’s gotten to the point where she says… “I’m not going to say it but you know….” Really go ahead mom and say it. You are thinking it anyway. My response to her shortened statement is always. “yeah mom if I lose weight it will help, I get it.

Losing weight seems to be the cure all for every ailment I have whether it be mental, physical, or emotional. I still think I’d be a bipolar basketcase even if I was a size 2 but maybe not.

More tomorrow on this topic.