A journey through my last year as a twenty-something

Next Time Just Slap Me In the Face

Tackling my weight is a huge goal for this year. That’s why there are so many posts about it. I promise I will move onto another subject soon.

Overweight people know they are overweight. They don’t need you telling them that every chance you get. In fact if you mention to someone’s face that they are fat or need to lose weight, regardless of your reasons for mentioning it, chances are they are going to make a beeline for the tub of ice cream in the freezer or the bag of potato chips in the pantry.

You would think if someone told you that you needed to lose weight because they were concerned about your health that you’d be signing up for a gym the next day. If someone tells me I need to lose weight the only thing I want is another cheeseburger. Burger King is just down the street? The Whopper Jr. is only 99 cents? I will have 2 please. Why? You already think I look like shit, why not add a few hundred more calories to my diet? It won’t make that much difference. That’s how I felt the other day when I got a package in the mail.

You may have read yesterday’s post about my mom and her advice for curing all my problems. Like I said it’s hard to be mad at someone who is trying to help but it just adds to me feeling like crap when she sends me something like this.

It seems she was watching television and found a weight loss program that she thought would be beneficial. So, what did she do? Instead of asking me if I would consider using it or if it would be okay if she orders it she picks up the phone (or her computer…whatever) and orders it. At least she told me to expect something in the mail so I wasn’t completely surprised. Still that didn’t stop me from being angry when I opened up the box to find the “Melt It With Mitch” program.

Gee Mom, thanks, just slap me in the face next time. I love feeling like a whale...I appreciate it that you know exactly how to make my self confidence plummet through the floor. Nothing says “I love you” like hey I bought you this weight loss program. You might as well just say, “I’m embarrassed by you”.

I know she means well, but seriously?

Okay, I’m over being upset about it. I’m willing to give it a shot. I’m not saying that it’s going to work miracles or that I will be able to stick to the diet plan (who can afford to eat this stuff?) but I can at least give the workouts a try. That’s better than nothing right? The only problem I can see with the program is that no one will be forcing me to do it. I don’t have to put the DVD in. Who is going to make sure I actually do it?

No doubt my mom would drive the hour to my house every day just to make sure I did the workout. That’s just how she is. I love her but sometimes she makes me want to pull my hair out. Thank God I have an abundance.